Window shutters come in various styles, colors, and materials, and can be used for functional and aesthetic purposes. It is very popular with many homeowners. Let’s explore different types of window shutters available to your home.
Whether you’re looking for a way to improve your home’s energy efficiency or change its look, window shutters may be the perfect solution.
What Are The Window Shutters?
Window shutters are a type of window covering that typically consists of a frame with horizontal rails and vertical stiles, with slats that you can open and close. Shutters can be used for decoration and function, providing privacy and light control. Many different types and styles of window shutters are available on the market, from traditional wood to modern synthetic materials.
Different types of window shutters
The following are the types of window shutters:
- Interior Shutters: These are usually made from wood or synthetic materials and fitted inside your windows. They offer excellent insulation and privacy but may need regular dusting and cleaning.
- Exterior Shutters: These are designed to be fitted outside of your windows and are of wood or metal. They provide excellent weather protection. However, they can be expensive to install and require more maintenance than interior shutters.
- Plantation Shutters: These shutters have large louvered panels that allow you to control the amount of light and air entering your home. They’re often used on large windows or doors but fit any size window. Plantation shutters are of wood, but composite materials are also available.
- Roller Shutters: These shutters cover your entire window and roll up or down as needed. They offer excellent security and insulation but can be difficult to install and may block out too much light for some rooms.
Benefits of window shutters
- Improved insulation. Shutters make your home warm in winter and cool in summer, and it can lead to improved energy efficiency and lower utility bills.
- Increased privacy. Shutters allow you to control light and privacy in your home. Whether you want to let in natural light or keep your prying eyes out, you can adjust shutters to meet your needs.
- Protection from the elements. Shutters can protect from strong sunlight, wind, and rain – making them ideal for homes in climates where extreme weather is common.
How to choose the right window shutters for your home?
The following are the things to keep in mind when choosing window shutters:
- Decide the purpose. Are you looking for purely decorative shutters plus functional purposes like privacy or light control? Or are you looking to protect your home from the weather?
- Consider the overall style of your home. What kind of shutter will complement the architecture and design of your home?
- Consider the material. Wood is a popular choice for its classic look, but there are also synthetic materials like PVC that require less maintenance.
- Consider the budget. Window shutters can range in price from fairly affordable to quite expensive, depending on your chosen materials and features.
Window shutters are available for every house style. Window shutters are an attractive and practical addition to any home and come in various styles. Do some research to determine which type of window shutter would be best for your home, and then enjoy the added security and curb appeal they provide.